Whatsapp Number

Chamber 159

Tehsil Compound Ghaziabad (Delhi-NCR)

10:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Monday to Saturday

How to change the Last name or Surname?

4 May

How to change the Last name or Surname?

One can either add the surname of remove surname from their existing names. However, spelling correction is Surname is called name correction and treated as Public Notice in Gazette.

In India women generally change their surnames after marriage and adopt their husband surname. Also when there is divorce or remarriage they change their surname.

Adding or removing surname is treated as Name Change.

The process explained hereunder is the same for all except some variation in supportive documents.

Answer to a similar question

#namechange #birthcertificate #namecorrection

How to correct surname?

How to remove surname?

How to add surname?

How to change surname after marriage?

What is the Surname change legal process in India?

How does our service work?

We follow the above process to change your name through Gazette of India

The problem discussed in detail:

There are different cases one can either add surname, change surname, or remove surname with their existing name. However, whatever the reason may be, one has to follow the legal process to complete.

For surname removing from the existing name, there is no problem. However, to add surname you can either add your father surname, mother surname, or Husband surname only. If you are planning to add some other surname which neither your father nor mother nor spouse is using then your affidavit has to be signed by Tehsildar or SDM without which Gazette Office will not accept your documents (however, there is no such Rule in writing, but they insist).

If a woman is divorced and wants to revert the surname of her parental surname, then she has to provide copy of Divorce Deed issued by the Court of Law.

If changing surname due to religion change, then you have to apply both for religion change and name change. You have to make a file each separately.


The process looks very simple, but you really need an expert who can help you in drafting an affidavit, filling up the application form, and guiding you at every step till the Gazette is published.

Such surname change or correction is legally completed by publishing in the Gazette of Government of India.

Documents required

  1. Birth Certificate copy or 10th mark sheet.
  2. Affidavit
  3. ID and address proof, if you are major
  4. If minor then father or mother ID and Address Proof
  5. If changes due to marriage then Marriage Certificate
  6. If removing surname due to divorce the copy of divorce deed
  7. Religion Change certificate, if changing due to religion change. Also, read our article on Religion Change.

Steps -1: Preparing surname change Affidavit

An affidavit for surname change to be prepared on Rs. 10/- or higher value stamp paper. Sign and get attested by Notary or Tehsildar or SDM depending on the type of changes you want to carry on.

Step – 2: Advertisement in Newspaper

An advertisement to this effect to be given in a National newspaper i.e. Hindi or English at the place where you are currently staying.

Step – 3: Preparation of Forms and making online payment

Visit the website of the Department of Publication, Government of India website, and download respective forms. Government fee is also mentioned on the website and make an online payment. To know how to make online payments watch our video. Once you make the payment, print the receipt and submit along with your application to the office of Controller of Publication.

Step – 4: Submit your documents with the Department of Publication

The application may be submitted to the Department of Publication either in person by the applicant (if the applicant is minor then either Mother or Father has to submit) or the same may be sent by Speed Post, Registered Post, or Courier. We always prefer to send by Speed Post. If you are planning to visit and submit personally then note that office is open Mon-Fri from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm only for submission of applications

Why hire NCR Agents for Name change service?

NCR Agents is having more than 10 years of experience and have served more than 6000 happy clients all India. Door-step service. You need not visit our office. We take care of the complete preparation of documents, advertisement in the newspaper, etc. You just have to sign and submit. Your payment is safe because you make digital payments to us.

Need HELP to change your Name or Last Name or Surname? 

Contact us NOW!

Select what type of service you are looking for
Please write complete details about your problem or what help you need from us.